Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Comedy Zone is still making us laugh

It’s been more than two years since the Comedy Zone on College Street uptown closed, and about a year since the one in Matthews shut down. But the Comedy Zone is still a major player when it comes to the funny business in Charlotte.

Not because it still owns a club in Lake Norman (inside the Galway Hooker Pub), but because almost every month, it partners with the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center to bring nationally known comics to center city.

In the past year or so, Heffron Talent International – which owns the Comedy Zone name and operates 65 locations in North America – has teamed with the Blumenthal to present shows by: former “Saturday Night Live” cast member Norm MacDonald; Louis C.K., an Emmy-winning writer who was worked with Chris Rock and Conan O’Brien; prolific Southern stand-up/country music artist Tim Wilson; and D.L. Hughley, one of four comics featured in Spike Lee’s 2000 film “The Original Kings of Comedy.” To name just a few.

“This agency’s one of the largest buyers of celebrity talent per month in the whole country,” says Heffron Talent owner Brian Heffron. “We’re actually the largest comedy club chain in the country.”

And its corporate headquarters are right here, on Westinghouse Boulevard in southwest Charlotte.

Among the shows on the horizon forthcoming from Heffron’s company are Aisha Tyler (Sunday at McGlohon Theatre; pictured at right), “Laugh for the Cure” (March 4 at McGlohon), and Sinbad (March 12 at Belk Theater).

But the biggest thing Heffron has in store for us … he can’t talk about – yet.

“There will be a fairly big announcement very soon,” he says. “I think we’re within a week (of making it). ... It’s gonna be the best club I’ve ever put in this town.”

Want to win a pair of tickets to see Tyler’s stand-up show at 7:30 p.m. Sunday at McGlohon Theatre? E-mail tjanes@charlotteobserver.com and tell me your best joke about Charlotte. Deadline is 2 p.m. today.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quit going to the Comedy Zone due to the HORRIBLY crowded seating, dense clouds of cigarette smoke and bad attitude combined with poor service from the staff. I saw some good shows when they had a non-smoking show once a week, but when that stopped so did I.

Anonymous said...

The Comedy Zone has always been a great place to go! I heard that a new club is coming soon and I can't wait! The comedians have always been very funny and the service has been awesome. It really is one of the best places to take a date!

Anonymous said...

This is great news! I hope it is going to be uptown somewhere. I have seen Dave Chappelle, Pauly Shore, Cheech (from Cheech and Chong), and many other celebrities perform there. Hurry up and open so we can laugh some more!

Anonymous said...

To the person talking about the smoking - You must have never went when it was on College Street. It was never smokey there. The seating is a little tight but was forgotten about because the shows were so good. I too loved the service which was fast and the food was good. I'm looking forward to the return!

Anonymous said...

I have been a customer of The Comedy Zone for 15 years. I met my wife at the karaoke bar they had next door. The staff was always super nice and the comedians were always great. My wife and I will be there when we find out where the new club is going to be!

See you opening night!

JEFF said...

AWESOME TO HEAR THAT THEY ARE COMING BACK. CHARLOTTE NEEDS THE COMEDY ZONE AGAIN.

Trisha said...

Sweet!!! I love going to the comedy zone! Where is it going to be?

David said...

Aisha Tyler is hilarious! Thanks for the info!

Len said...

Great news! Please let us know when and where as soon as you find out! Big fan for many years!

Tiger Woods said...

I lost my virginity behind The Comedy Zone

Clean Lungs said...

Hey non-smoking person. You should be happy. No more smoking in NC bars and restaurants. I have been to the comedy zone at least 25 times. It was never smokey?

Anonymous said...

Good food + Good drinks + Good laughs = a great time! Only time I didn't like it was when they were sold out and I couldn't get tickets.

Donnie Hooper said...

Probably some staff from the place posting all this good stuff. But I have to agree with them. The Comedy Zone has always been a great place to go. Happy to hear its coming back!

LKN GIRL said...

I love the Galway Hooker at Lake Norman! Tuesday Nights are always a blast!

Anonymous said...

If you love to laugh you will love the Comedy Zone: I have been there several times and enjoyed it every time. The drinks and food are good but the comedy performed there is exceptional. I always have a good time. If I wasn't laughing at the comedy I was laughing at Tanya(my wife) for laughing so hard. It really is a great place. The only bad thing about the old place was its location. It sat next to Time Lounge which is known to have a few shady characters that frequent the facility. Other than that, it is a great establishment.

We look forward to the new location!

Debbie G said...

This is the PLACE to be for anyone that is down and out or just feeling low. I can promise you will walk out feeling better. I saw Carrot top there way back in the day and Oh my God I thought my sides were going to split. I have seen a few others there and everytime they do not dissapoint. The serve great cocktails and have great prices. Check it out when you feel low or just down. World class in Comedy!!!!

Robin B. said...

The Comedy Zone is a nice place to go with your friends for a good laugh. I have been several times and have always been very pleased with the entertainment. It was always clean with good eats and friendly service. The cover price was always reasonable also. Looking forward to going back!

Doug P. said...

I can't wait! Please lets us know when and where! LOVE The Comedy Zone

J.B. said...

Great news! Love live comedy and the Comedy Zone has always been fun.

Melissa said...

Yeah! I loved going to the Comedy Zone and it's really exciting to hear there's one coming! Will definately check out the Blumenthal schedule in the meantime...

Anonymous said...

I went when CZ was on Independence and when it was on College. I don't remember what the food, the staff, or the drinks were like. But I laughed my off every time I went. Looking forward to what is coming next from Heffron & CZ.

Tami H. said...

Another big fan of The Comedy Zone. I look forward to thier return! Great date night spot! The shows have always been entertaining.

Welcome back guys!

Noah L. said...

WHERE? WHERE? WHERE?

I too am looking forward to their return!

Tommy T's said...

The Comedy Zone has been THE comedy club of Charlotte for many years! I wish them much success! Charlotte needs what The Comedy Zone provides!

B. O. said...

Any word about where it might be? We all could use some laughs in this economy!